Nothing beats the satisfaction of eating a plate of warm, spiced rice. Instant Pot Mexican rice is savory and hearty, perfect for a lunch or dinner.
Thanks for the Instant Pot, you can cook this rice in just about 37 minutes. This recipe gives you restaurant-style Mexican rice with all the spice and tomato goodness.
When to Serve It?
Instant Mexican rice is a perfect side dish. Traditionally, people enjoy this rice with seasoned beans for breakfast, building energy to start the day.
You can also enjoy this rice for lunch or dinner, pairing it with the more suitable main dishes.
What to pair with this rice? Anything you like! Mexican rice goes well with chicken, beef, or pork dishes.
You can also enjoy it with steamed or stuffed vegetables. Mexican rice is also perfect for a weekend party or family meal.
Cooking rice in Instant Pot gives you a quick meal for the office. Cook the rice beforehand and let it cool before putting it in a microwave-safe container.
Warm it for several minutes in the office microwave before serving.
This recipe uses 2 cups of rice, 2 ½ cups of chicken broth, a can of tomato sauce, and some diced tomatoes as the main ingredients.
The spices are garlic, cumin, chili powder, and paprika. The rice uses onions as the extra ingredients, but you can experiment by adding peas or small carrot cuts.
Wash the rice but don’t cook it. The Instant Pot will cook the rice properly. Using chicken broth will give the rice delicious, savory flavor.
Pour the vegetable oil into the Instant Pot and set it to the sauté mode. Heat the oil for a few minutes before adding the onions, garlic, and rice.
Sauté for 5 minutes until the ingredients smell fragrant. Turn off the pot.
Add all the spices (cumin, paprika, chili powder) and chicken broth. Stir to mix everything and release any rice grains that stick to the bottom.
Add the tomatoes and tomato sauce before stirring everything for the final time.
Close the Instant Pot lid and set it to rice cooking. Alternatively, use the pressure cooker setting for about 12 minutes.
Open the pot as soon as the rice is cooked. Stir evenly before transferring it to the plates.
Cooking and Serving Tips
This easy Mexican rice recipe allows you to get creative with other ingredients.
Use vegetable broth instead of chicken to accommodate vegetarians. Add jalapeno if you want the rice to be spicy.
Use long-grain rice such as Basmati to make this recipe. Basmati rice stays fluffy yet textured when cooked with an Instant Pot. I
t also has a subtle fragrance, perfect for a spicy and savory dish like Mexican rice.
Pair the Mexican rice ingredients with the main dish. For example, if you cook basic rice with chicken broth, pair it with a chicken dish such as Pollo Verde (chicken with green chili sauce).
If you use beef broth, pair it with Mexican shredded beef.
Simple rice and spices become an excellent dish with this Instant Pot Mexican rice recipe. Enjoy this delicious and hearty side dish anytime you like!
- 3 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 2 cups long grain rice
- 1 small onion, diced
- 1 teaspoon minced garlic (two cloves)
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- ½ teaspoon chili powder
- ½ teaspoon paprika
- 2 ½ cups chicken broth
- 1 15-ounce can tomato sauce
- 1 10-ounce can diced tomatoes with green chilies
- Set Instant Pot to saute mode and add vegetable oil. Allow the oil to heat up for a few minutes, then add the rice, onion, and garlic. Saute until the rice is fragrant and the onion is translucent, about 5 minutes.
- Turn off the Instant Pot and season rice with cumin, chili powder, and paprika.
- Add the chicken broth and scrape the bottom of the pan with a wooden spoon or spatula to remove any stuck-on rice or onion.
- Add the tomato sauce and diced tomatoes with chilies. Stir to combine.
- Place the lid on the Instant Pot and seal the valve. Set the pot to pressure cook for 12 minutes or use the rice setting on the Instant Pot.
- When the cook time is up, do a quick release.
- Remove the lid from the Instant Pot and stir to fluff the rice before serving.