Do you prefer the unique taste of homemade coffee over that of those sold at the cafés?
With a few essential tools and ingredients, you can make your own latte coffee from the comfort of your house.
And in this post, you’ll discover the perfect latte recipe and how to brew your latte to come out tasty, creamy, and frothy. Let’s get started!
1. Important Things To Know Before Making A Latte Coffee
Here are some important things to know before making your first cafe latte:
- Lattes are espresso drinks made from large amounts of steamed milk. They’re similar to cappuccinos but contain more milk than coffee. The milk in lattes sinks into the espresso, unlike cappuccino.
- Flavored syrups and different types of milk can be used to make lattes. The most commonly used flavors are vanilla, lavender, and caramel. If you prefer non-dairy milk, you can make an almond milk latte or an oat milk latte
- You need an espresso machine to make a coffee latte. However, this doesn’t mean you need to invest in a high-end one; a standard one can do just fine.
2. Key Ingredients
- One ounce of water
- One tablespoon of french roast coffee or ground dark espresso
- 3 ounces of milk or more
- 11/2 fluid ounces of the desired flavor (optional)
- Espresso Machine
- Milk jug
4. Making Latte Coffee In 10 Minutes
Step 1: Refrigerate your milk
Cold Milk makes foams faster than warm milk, so measure 3 ounces of milk into a stainless steel frothing pitcher and refrigerate for 15-20 minutes.
Step 2: Grind your coffee beans finely
Espresso made from grounded coffee beans tastes better. Consider grinding your coffee with a burr grinder as it produces more smooth and uniform particles.
If you’re a pro coffee maker, you can grind the coffee beans directly into the portafilter.
Step 3: Tamp the Grounded Beans
Put the grounded coffee into a portafilter and use a tamper (a small flat tool with a long handle) to press the grounded coffee.
This ensures the portafilters enter the espresso machine properly and the coffee has adequate contact with water. Avoid pressing the tamper too hard, or the disc will be too compressed.
Step 4: Prepare the Coffee
Gently place the portafilter into the espresso machine’s group head and use the handle to lock it in place.
Set your espresso cup under the group head and press the switch to stream the coffee into the cup. If you want flavor, you can add it at this stage.
Step 5: Steam the Milk
Take your milk out of the fridge and insert a steam wand into the frothing pitcher. Engage the wand to release steam until the milk is frothy at about 150 degrees Fahrenheit.
If you don’t have a thermometer, you can stop steaming once the milk has made as much foam as you want.
Step 6: Prepare the Latte
Pour your espresso into a latte cup and use a spoon to retain the bubbles on top while pouring the steamed milk into your latte cup. Top up with the remaining bubbles, and enjoy.
There are different ways to make Latte Coffee at home, but the above recipe will leave you craving more!
Try this recipe, and let’s know how it turns out in the comment section. Need ideas on the types of milk you can use to make a coffee or bake a cake? Check out this list.