You know the benefits of ginger, licorice root, and other herbal teas, but not everyone can explain the butterfly pea flower tea benefits.
This tea is more famous for its unique color after brewing.While the blue color is beautiful, the tea also offers various benefits.
Interested in brewing butterfly pea flower? Learn about its benefits, side effects, and the best brewing tips first.
- A. What is Butterfly Pea Flower Tea?
- B. Health Benefits of Butterfly Pea Flower Tea
- C. Are There Side Effects?
- D. How to Make Butterfly Pea Flower Drinks
- E. Recommended Butterfly Pea Flower Tea Brands
A. What is Butterfly Pea Flower Tea?
Butterfly pea flower tea comes from Asian blue pea flower, also known as the pigeonwings (Clitoria ternatea). The flower is famous in various Asian countries, such as Burma, Thailand, Vietnam, Malaysia, China, and India.
People use it for cooking ingredients, natural food coloring, traditional medicines, and herbal drinks.
The blue pea flower can change the color of the water after brewing. Depending on the water pH, it can turn bluish to bright blue.
Adding other ingredients such as lemongrass, lemon juice, and spices can turn the color to pink and even purple. People drink this tea cold or hot, especially after a meal.
The Ayurvedic medicine tradition regards the flower as a tranquilizing, sedative, stress-reducing, and memory-enhancing herb. You can find this tea at high-end hotels and spas in Vietnam or Thailand.
B. Health Benefits of Butterfly Pea Flower Tea
The butterfly pea flower benefits are still unclear, but the Asian medical traditions regard this flower as a stress-reliever.
Watching the water changes color to blue, purple, or pinkish is visually relaxing. The tea’s sedative quality relaxes your muscles, perfect to drink before bed.
Butterfly flower tea may also reduce light internal inflammation. It is a great post-meal drink, especially after consuming high-fat or spicy foods.
You can also enjoy it to boost the immune system, especially during a stressful or busy time.
The benefits of butterfly pea tea for weight loss are still unclear. However, it may help to reduce the need of stress-eating, due to its relaxing effect.
It can also help to alleviate the effects of free radicals and to detox the body. These functions are important in a healthy weight-loss journey.
C. Are There Side Effects?
So far, there have been no reported side effects of butterfly pea flower tea. There are concerns about nausea and diarrhea, but not everyone experiences them.
People with allergies or sensitive digestion should be cautious when drinking this tea for the first time.
Pregnant and nursing women must consult their doctors before drinking butterfly pea tea. Since the studies about the tea’s side effects have not found conclusive results, it is best to be cautious.
- Most Popular Types of Tea to Try
- Licorice Root Tea Benefits and How to Drink It
- 5 Most Recommended Teas to Curb Anxiety and Stress
D. How to Make Butterfly Pea Flower Drinks
This tea has a light, earthy flavor, like unsweetened green tea. You can drink it plain or with other ingredients, like lemon and honey. You can also turn the tea into various beverages, with beautiful color and unique flavor.
Here are several popular butterfly pea flower recipes to try.
1. Regular Butterfly Pea Flower Tea
Brew butterfly pea flower the right way to get the best tea flavor. If you have dry blue flowers in a loose form, here are the steps to brew it properly.
- Boil 6 cups of water in a saucepan.
- Remove water from the heat.
- Add 4 teaspoons of loose butterfly pea flower into the saucepan.
- Steep for 5 to 8 minutes, depending on the color and flavor you want.
- Strain the tea and pour it into a jug.
- Pour the tea into cups and add lemon juice, honey, or mint as you like.
If you want to enjoy cold tea, let the beverage in the jug cool down before placing it in the fridge. Place ice cubes into the glass before pouring the tea.
2. Butterfly Pea Flower Tea with Lime and Honey
This iced tea recipe is refreshing, perfect for a hot day. The addition of lime and honey creates a perfect stress-relieving concoction. Here are the steps:
- Heat water in a small kettle until boiling.
- Place ¼ cup of dry butterfly pea flower in a mesh strainer. Put inside a large mug.
- Pour the water into the mug. Steep for 4 minutes.
- Place ice cubes in another mug. Pour the tea into it.
- Squeeze lemon or lime from a wedge.
- Add natural honey to the amount of sweetness you want.
Pay attention to the steeping time. Avoid steeping the flower for more than 10 minutes. It will result in a bitter taste.
3. Butterfly Pea Moscow Mule
Moscow Mule is a great base to make a butterfly pea flower cocktail. The ingredients are simple, and you can enjoy it during a warm evening. The Gastronom Blog has a great recipe to try.
- Boil water in a saucepan.
- Steep butterfly pea flower in hot water for 4 minutes.
- Cool the flower tea, pour it into two ice cube trays. Freeze.
- Crush clear ice cubes and blue ice separately.
- Fill half the mug with crushed clear ice. Add crushed blue ice on top.
- Pour 10 ml of freshly squeezed lime juice.
- Pour 60 ml of vodka.
- Pour 170 ml of ginger beer.
- Add crushed blue ice. Serve immediately.
Moscow Mule is usually consumed in a copper mug. Since this recipe showcases a beautiful color change from blue to purple, switch to a double-wall glass mug.
- Reasons to Drink Assam Black Tea Regularly
- 15 Methods to Whiten Teeth Naturally at Home
- Why You Should Start Drinking White Tea
E. Recommended Butterfly Pea Flower Tea Brands
Here are several brands you can consider when looking for delicious tea.
1. Blue Tee Pure Butterfly Pea Flower Tea
Blue Tee offers practical tea bags that produce bright blue tea, with a mild flavor. It contains antioxidants and no caffeine. You can serve it with lemon, honey, or milk.
2. Majestic Herbs Butterfly Pea Flower
Majestic Herbs offers dried butterfly pea flowers, perfect for tea drinkers who prefer loose herbs. The flowers come from organic, fair-trade farms.
3. Picknature Thai Butterfly Pea Flower Tea
Picknature offers organic dried butterfly pea flowers from Thailand. They are ideal for hot and iced beverages, including smoothies and cocktails. You can also use the flowers to make desserts and beauty products.
Butterfly pea flower tea offers beautiful color and minimum risks from dangerous ingredients. While the butterfly pea flower tea benefits still require further studies, you can consume it safely.
Try drinking the flower with lemon, lime, or soda water, and see the magic happens before you!