Weekend is the best time for a fancy breakfast. Instead of tossing cereal into a bowl of cold milk, why not try making Belgian waffles?
Then again, a Belgian waffle typically contains more carbs.
If you are looking for a choice of healthy waffles, the applesauce Belgian waffles can be your go-to recipe.
Swapping Butter for Applesauce
The traditional Belgian waffle recipe includes butter that will make it fluffy. For a healthier breakfast, you can easily swap the oil with applesauce.
To make the applesauce Belgian waffle, you will need 3 large eggs, 2 Tbs. sugar, 1 Tbs. baking powder, 2 ¼ cups all-purpose flour, 1 tsp. ground cinnamon, ½ tsp. ground nutmeg, 1/3 tsp. salt, 2 cups milk, ¼ vegetable oil, 2 tsp. vanilla extract, and 1 ½ cups applesauce.
With this recipe, you will see how waffles and apples go very well together. The applesauce adds fluffiness and makes it healthier as it contains less fat.
One of the pro tips in making this applesauce waffle recipe is to beat the egg whites and yolk separately.
It allows the egg whites to rise perfectly for Belgian healthy waffles that crisp on the outside, and soft on the inside.
Using a mixer, beat the egg whites until it is stiff and mix in sugar at the end of the process.
On a separate bowl, mix the rest of the ingredients until it’s all combined. Fold in the egg whipped egg whites using a spatula carefully.
Once it’s mixed, you can put it in a waffle maker or waffle iron mold.
Remember to pour the mix just enough to cover the lower part of the waffle maker.
It needs room to raise so that you will get crispy and fluffy waffles. It takes around 4 – 5 minutes to cook a nice and brown waffle.
Once you get it on your plate, you can top it with ice cream, maple syrup, nuts, berries, or granola.
You might also like:
- 20 Breakfast Bread Recipes for a Refreshing Start of Your Day
- 20 Gluten Free Breakfast Recipes for Healthier Meals in the Morning
For those who are trying to skip fat on their diet, the applesauce Belgian waffles recipe is the one to try.
These Applesauce Waffles are made from scratch with chunky applesauce.
- 3 large eggs, separated
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 2 ¼ cups all-purpose flour
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- ½ teaspoon ground nutmeg
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 1 ½ cups applesauce
- 2 cups milk
- ¼ cup vegetable oil
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- Using a stand or handheld mixer, beat egg whites until stiff peaks form, adding in sugar towards the end.
- Combine remaining ingredients (including egg yolks) in a separate bowl and stir together, making sure to not over-stir. Fold in the whipped egg whites, until just incorporated.
- Cook in waffle iron according to waffle iron instructions.
- Top as desired, with whipped topping, nuts, fruit, berries, syrup, etc.
- Makes 6-8 waffles, depending on the size of your waffle iron.